To close out 2009, let’s discuss the America we are now – after a year of health care non-reform, iconic marital infidelity, and the rise of America’s favorite baseball team AGAIN. We opened the year with the inauguration of our celebu-Prez, and here’s a chronology of where we’ve been since then, according to the data:
- January: Jay Leno was our favorite TV personality and Ellen Degeneres was #3 – but that was before Ellen became America’s newest Idol judge.
- February: Obama was America’s hero followed by Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King Jr – but that was before, depending on your point of view, change had(n’t) come to America.
- April: CSI was the favorite TV show of all time – but that was before The Sing Off and MTV’s Jersey Shore.
- June: Cliff Huxtable was our favorite TV dad in a sitcom about America’s model family – but that was before Modern Family and Big Love.
- July: The Yankees were America’s favorite baseball team – but that was before, oh right, the Yankees won the World Series.
- July: Tiger Woods was our #1 favorite sports star – but that was before his infidelity became water cooler conversation.
- July: Australia was our favorite destination outside of U.S. – but that was before we realized the recession would never ever end.
- October: The Cowboys were our favorite football team and the Saints a measly 24th – but that was before the Saints started the season a bruising 13-1.
- December: Obama’s approval rating slid to 41% positive (from 59% back in May) – but that was before the 2nd yet-to-be-seen year of his presidency.
Besides the sure lock of the Yankees to come in #1 in 2010 (any doubters?), any predictions for next year on the status of Obama or Ellen or Tiger or the Saints?
Happy New Year!